The Last Chance Tactical is a new and inexpensive way to learn and practice some practical/tactical handgun skills while at the same time just enjoying some fun shooting! These events are designed to take you out of your comfort zone of shooting at paper targets and improve your proficiency with a pistol under more stressful/competitive conditions. We have 5 outdoor ranges that are set up to offer different exercises for each event. Most people think that they will be able to "rise to the occasion" when confronted with a stressful (read life threatening) situation. In reality, just about everyone will default to their level of training! Ask yourself "Do you have the training (mental and physical) to survive a life threatening encounter?"
These tactical events are offered periodically, from May thru October) to private groups and as scheduled events (open to the public). If you would like more information or a tour of the facilities, please contact The Carry Depot. We only offer about 4-6 dates per year, so book a date for your group at your earliest convenience.
These events range from 1/2 day programs to full weekend programs. The fees charged are based on the number in the group and the length of time that they want to participate. A typical fee for 8 participants and a 4-5 hour course would be in the area of $60 per person. We do offer discounts for larger groups. Ammunition expenditure for the latter course would be roughly 150 rounds.
We also have an "open" version of LCT offered approximately once per month. The fee for the event is only $50 or $150 for a season pass (at least 4 events), lasts about 6 hours with an expenditure of approximately 100-150 rounds. If you would like to be kept informed of these events, please email us indicating such. We limit participation to 25 shooters for the open event.
What is a Last Chance
As previously mentioned, the purpose of the tactical is to take the participant out their comfort zone of shooting at stationary paper targets while in a stationary stance (Weaver, Chapman, Isocseles, etc.). Our typical participant is the Carry Permit Holder who wants and needs to be able to maintain their proficiency with a handgun when under stress. For the most part, the participant is competing against themselves. Here are some of the many shooting exercies we offer:
1. Barricade exercises: This requires the shooter to use barricades for cover and concealment while shooting at a targets up to 40 feet away. To further make the exercise more interesting, we place cardboard "hostages" between you and the target(s). In order to "make the shot", one may have to kneel, take a prone position and/or shoot weak hand or strong hand only! You are scored on both the number of hits made as well as the time to complete the exercise.
2. Competition shooting: This competition is where you are competing against another shooter. The most common target systems used for these exercises are the dueling tree, bowling pins, and the plate racks. The plate rack exercise consists of 6 hardened steel plates on a rack. Each participant has their own rack of 6 plates to knock down. The individual who knocks all of their plates down first moves up the ladder to the next level (round 2 etc.).
3. The Steel Challenge: This is a series of hardened steel targets in which one has to hit each target as fast as they can, thus accuracy and speed both come into play.
4. Ambush Alley!! This is a walk thru the woods with your instructor/range safety officer. As you walk down a trail in the woods, a series of targets present themselves for you to dispatch. This is NOT a timed exercise, but is scored on the number of hits to complete the course. Ambush alley, as well as our other target systems, are changed for each event to make sure no one knows what to expect the next time they come to an event.
5. On occasion, we introduce MOVING targets into our exercises (especially on Ambush Alley). Many times these "movers" are triggered by hitting other targets.
In addition to our shooting exercises, we also offer many mini-seminars such as: 1. Gun takeaway 2. Surviving a knife attack 3. Point shooting (shooting without using your sights) 4. Clearing firearm malfunctions, jams, etc 5. Techinques for improving your shooting (stances, grips, trigger pull, etc) 6. Beginning handgun classes. 7. Your choice!
Normally our events are designed to give both the intermediate and experienced shooter a challenge. Depending on the experience/needs/wants of the group, we can individualize the event to meet their requests.
What should you bring?: Handuns, Ammo, Holster, Eye and ear protection, lunch/snacks, good outdoor footwear (hiking type boots are great - no sandals).
Amenities provided: Restroom, gas bbq, The Carry Depot Store, unlimited FUN!
NOTE: WE LIMIT THESE TACTICALS TO 20 PARTICIPANTS - RESERVE EARLY. Also note that the primary method in which we keep individuals up to date on Tacticals is via email. If you would like to be on our BLIND email list, please send your email address to email@example.com and ask to be put on the Tactical list. Thanks.